Acne Treatment in Baltimore, MD
Acne takes many forms: whiteheads, blackheads, pimples and cysts are troubling and difficult to deal with, especially when they occur in adults (adult acne). There is no one best acne treatment, but there are several options available to those suffering from this condition.
If you're in need of acne treatment, call (410) 204-2254 or contact Dr. Karen Clarke-Bennett online.
Best Acne Treatment
One of the best ways to combat acne is with preventive treatment. Because most forms of acne stem from clogged pores and excess oil, here are a few simple ways to improve your overall skin health:
- Keep clean: Wash your face at least twice a day with a mild facial cleanser. Avoid products that dry out your skin. These can increase oil production.
- Avoid makeup: Certain makeup can irritate the skin. Consult your doctor before using any new foundation or cover-up.
- Avoid sun exposure : Too much sun can severely damage your facial skin. This is also true for tanning beds.
- De-stress: Stress may contribute to acne, so it's best to avoid stressors and enjoy healthier skin as a benefit.
- Detox: Skin is semi-permeable which means that it absorbs the toxins in our environment and in our skin care products. Effectively detoxifying under the supervision of your doctor 1-2 times per year and using organic products without harmful chemicals will unclog pores and keep skin healthier.
- Eat a healthy diet: Refined sugars, dairy, chocolate and greasy food can all contribute to acne production. Adhering to a Mediterranean diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins can protect against acne.
Depending on the severity of your adult acne, certain over-the-counter medications and cosmetic procedures may be recommended. These treatments can include:
- Creams, face washes and cleansers
- Facials and extractions
- Benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid
- Radiofrequency (RF) technology treatment
- Laser therapy
Some prescription acne treatments include Accutane, Sortret and hormonal birth control for women.
Hormonal Acne Treatment
A large portion of acne and adult acne stems from hormonal imbalance . That makes hormonal acne treatment an effective tool for dealing with acne on the face, back, shoulders, chest or anywhere else on the body.
In essence, when hormones such as estrogen , progesterone and testosterone are not balanced, they cause your body to react by creating more oil and more acne. The best way to combat this hormonal imbalance is with bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT).
Unlike conventional hormone replacement therapy, BHRT uses biologically identical and naturally derived hormones. These hormones offer a safe, effective solution for treating adult acne. Bio-identical hormones can be delivered in:
Oral contraceptives may also be given as hormonal acne treatment.
Severe Acne Treatment
If you're suffering from severe acne, it's best to get treated immediately. Acne that is left untreated can quickly result in unsightly acne scars . If you're interested in treating your acne with bioidentical hormones or an alternate treatment, please call (410) 204-2254 or contact Dr. Karen Clarke-Bennett online.
A Better You MediSpa & Wellness
Address525 Main Street
Laurel, MD 20707
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm