Wart Treatment in Santa Monica, CA
What is a Wart?
Warts are benign overgrowths of skin tissue caused by various strains of the human papillomavirus (HPV). These small bumps are rough to the touch but typically cause no pain or itch. The color of warts can vary; however, most warts are skin-colored. Common warts—the ones you normally see on your fingers or hands—are the most recognized variety, but they only impact about one percent of the American population. Warts appear in other places on the body like the foot, face and genital area.
The HPV virus that causes warts is contagious, and warts can spread to others if a person comes into contact with a wart, which is why seeking wart treatment is vital. To schedule a consultation with a healthcare practitioner in Santa Monica who specializes in wart treatment, call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Types of Warts
There are five major types of warts which each have a distinct appearance and location on the body.
- Common Warts: Located most often on the hands, fingers, elbows, and knees, but appearing elsewhere on the body, common warts often resemble a tiny cauliflower and are rough to the touch.
- Flat Warts: Located on the abdomen, back, arms, hands, or knees, flat warts are smooth to the touch, flat-topped and are about the size of a pinhead.
- Filiform Warts: Located around the mouth or on the nose or eyelids, filiform warts are usually skin-colored and may be elongated.
- Plantar Warts: Located on the bottom of the foot, plantar warts are often mistaken for callouses and can grow large enough to cause discomfort when you walk on them.
- Periungual Warts: Located under or around the toenail or fingernail, periungual warts can become painful and affect nail growth if left untreated.
Genital warts, another type of wart located in the mucous membranes of the sexual organs, represent a potentially dangerous form of the human papillomavirus which is extremely contagious. This skin growth is particularly dangerous for women because it has the potential to develop into cervical cancer .
Wart Removal Options
Many warts will disappear without treatment; however, it can take a long period of time for this to occur. Fortunately, wart removal options exist to eliminate unsightly or painful warts. These medical treatments should always be conducted in the office of a qualified healthcare practitioner; at-home remedies should be approached with caution particularly in the case of genital warts.
The most effective wart removal options your healthcare provider may utilize include:
- Cryotherapy, or freezing the wart
- Laser therapy
- Electrosurgery and curettage, burning the wart and scrapping it off with a sharp medical tool
- Topical prescription medication applied directly to the wart
A popular at-home remedy for warts is the use of salicylic acid which works to gradually peel the wart off. Topical treatments and patches containing salicylic acid come in various potencies, require daily treatment for several weeks and do not guarantee the wart's removal.
When dealing with warts or any skin growths, it is prudent that you seek the guidance of a healthcare provider to properly diagnose and treat your condition. Request more information today about warts treatment. Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm