Acne Treatment in Sunny Isles Beach - North Miami Beach, FL
Most associate acne with teenagers and puberty but a growing number of adults suffer from the condition as well. Acne can ultimately cause scars, so it should always be taken seriously. If you are suffering from acne, it isn't hopeless: Call (954) 248-3611 or contact Genesis Health Institute online.
What is Acne?
Acne is the medical term for clogged skin pores. Acne is most often caused by hair follicles underneath your skin becoming clogged with oil, dead skin cells, and other natural substances. When this happens, visible blemishes form. These blemishes are not a serious health risk, but they can cause scars and may also be an indication of a more concerning health issue.
Adult acne, despite popular belief, is very real and a concern for many. Acne and acne scars can occur anywhere on your body, but are most commonly found on the:
Acne can range anywhere from light to severe, depending on the form it takes. This is because there are several types of acne and several contributing causes of acne. They include:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Excess oil
- Certain bacteria
Types of Acne
Adult acne is a general term that describes a number of more specific blemishes. These include:
- Whiteheads: Scientifically, these are referred to as closed comedones. Whiteheads manifest themselves as small white bumps on the skin that are caused by oil clogging your pores that push the underlying follicle to the surface. Whiteheads are not exposed to air, which explains their color.
- Blackheads: Blackheads are, in essence, the opposite of whiteheads. Because of this, they are referred to by the medical community as open comedones. Like whiteheads, they are caused by oil clogging your pores. Where they differ is that the clogged follicles are exposed to air, which causes them to turn black.
- Papules: This type of acne manifests itself as small, cone-shaped pink bumps. In essence, papules are a variety of whitehead that contain no pus and have become inflamed. Unlike some of the other forms of acne, papules are painful to the touch.
- Pimples: What most call pimples, the medical community refers to as pustules. These are similar to papules, but different in that they contain visible pus. This causes inflammation, although most pimples are generally painless.
- Nodules and Cysts: These are the most severe forms of acne. Nodules appear on large areas of the skin and are incredibly painful. They are hard to the touch, severely inflamed and reside deep with your skin. Cysts are similar, but softer and filled with pus.
Request Acne Treatment Today!
If you are suffering from nodular acne or cystic acne, which can last for months, it's crucial that you get help immediately. Call (954) 248-3611 or contact Genesis Health Institute online.
Genesis Health Institute
Address1001 NE 26th St
Wilton Manors, FL 33305
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm